PLAYER HOUSING WITH MEAL PLAN
The Tidewater Summer League is excited to offer a great housing option for players who do not live in the Virginia Beach area, allowing our players to stay on the campus of Virginia Wesleyan College.
All players will be housed at Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk, VA. VWC is a beautiful campus located a short drive from the beach. Players will be staying two (2) players per room in VWC state of the art dormitories, two (2) meals per day in the school’s Cafeteria, and players will have access to the Baseball Field, Batting Cages, Fitness Center/Weight Room, Training Room (with trainers on site), indoor basketball courts, indoor racquetball courts, swimming pool, running track, outdoor volleyball court and Student Union with ping-pong, pool table, foosball, shuffleboard, etc. Basically they live as if they were students on campus. In addition, the campus is secure with security at the main gate and around campus all summer long.
Players will be housed in typical double dorm rooms. All rooms come with free wi-fi, television hook-ups, pay laundry facilities (in the dorm), and a microwave/fridge unit. The coaches will be living in the dorms with the players as well.
NOTE: LINENS WILL NOT BE PROVIDED so players will need to bring their own sheets, blankets, and pillows.
Players can request their roommates for the summer or allow us to place them with a teammate. The League will inform all players of their roommates and give contact information of each other approximately 2 weeks prior to the season.
Cost for lodging, meals and all campus access is $868.00 per player for the entire season (June 3, 2017 – July 16, 2017).
See payment details below.
MEAL PLAN – DINING
The campus dining hall will be open as well and players will all receive two free meals per day as part of their housing. A cold breakfast with fruit, yogurt, cereals, bagels, and toast will be provided as well as a regular lunch. The lunch menu is extensive and typically includes a deli sandwich line, burgers, hot dogs, pasta, pizza, a salad buffet, a specialty item of the day, cookies, ice cream, and drinks.
Boyd Dining Room
Finding your favorite foods on campus is easy. We are proud to offer a dining program complete with signature brands and menu selections that include just about every item you can imagine. Just feast your eyes on what we have available! Featuring a wide variety of fresh food designed to satisfy everyone’s appetite with food choices to rival your favorite restaurants:
- Fresh fruit and salads
- Delicious, hot, home-style entrées
- Simple Servings Allergen Station
- Freshly baked pizza and pasta
- Deli choices served on freshly baked breads
- Grill creations by our chef just for you
- Ice cream and freshly baked desserts
- Homemade soups
The Marlin Grill
The Marlin Grill is made up of four distinctive food stations that offer a wide variety of delicious options to suit the fast paced life of a college student. The Marlin Grill is centrally located on campus in The Batten Center by the lobby and across from the fish tank.
The Marlin Grill offers high quality products and exceptional customer service. The Grill provides students with food throughout the day that is quick and easy with combo meals prominently featured. It’s an easy way for busy students to get a great value for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The Marlin Grill offers great tasting and popular menu items like cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, and grilled chicken breast sandwiches. These great menu items are all available as a combo meal featuring a drink and fries. The Marlin Grill also offers an assortment of popular breakfast entrees which can be purchased as a combo and comes with a drink and tater tots.
Freshëns Smoothie Company
With award-winning premium yogurt and all-natural fresh blended smoothies, Freshëns Smoothie Company® is an irresistible draw. Students can choose from the largest selection of fat-free and no-sugar-added flavors, and over thirty premium flavors rotated seasonally.
Sandella’s Flatbread Café
Sandella’s Flatbread Cafe serves premium quality, health-conscious and great tasting menu items. Sandella’s serves the most popular grilled flatbreads, paninis, quesadillas, and salads. It’s all about taste and the experience!
Simply to Go
“Simply to Go” is a comprehensive convenient meal solutions program targeted at customers who need a food fix in a hurry. The grab-and-go menu consists of sandwiches, salads, desserts and hot, microwaveable meals.
Fitness Center / Weight Room
Our 4800 square foot fitness room features:
- 6 Life Fitness treadmills
- 4 elliptical machines
- 6 spinning bikes
- 1 rowing machine
- 2 stationary bikes
- 1 recumbent bike
- 2 portable bike trainers
- 12 circuit training machines
- 14 free weight machines
- 3 portable benches
- 2 sets of dumbbells, 5-50 lbs.
- 1 set of dumbbells, 5-100 lbs.
The fitness center also has tapes and videos available for checkout, including all of Coach Troy’s Spinervals and Runervals, which you can watch on 5 JVC TVs that are able to broadcast the channels they are on to your FM portable radio. We also play a constant variety of workout music in the fitness center as well as throughout the building.
The $18.6 million Jane P. Batten Student Center provides a vibrant dimension to the campus of Virginia Wesleyan College.
The facility is home to the Virginia Wesleyan College men’s basketball team, women’s basketball team, and women’s volleyball. With 137,000 square foot, the state-of-the-art facility serves as the hub of activity for the College community.
The Batten Center has been the site of Professional Bowlers Association’s Battle At Little Creek, which included the finals televised by ESPN. It was also the site of the NCAA Division III Women’s Final Four in basketball in 2004 and 2005. Numerous NCAA Division III men’s playoff games have also been held in the Batten Center, as well as some of the largest high school basketball and wrestling championships on the East Coast.
The Batten Center provides numerous venues for recreation and athletics along with offices for the athletic department and other departments. The facility officially opened on February 2, 2002.
The Batten Center pool has 8 lanes, one of which will always be open for campus community use unless otherwise noted. The pool is 25 yards long and 74 feet wide, has 235,000 gallons of water and ranges from 4 feet to 9 1/2 feet deep. There is also an easy access ramp for those who wish to use it, and a hydro-lift for seated entries. Although the pool has no diving, there are 8 starting blocks for practicing starts when swimming competitively.
Also in the natatorium is a stainless steel 8-person whirlpool to use after a long workout or just to relax.
The entrance and exit to the natatorium is through the locker rooms, which also have some great features including saunas and SuitMates.
Our pool was custom built by Neptune-Benson and Stanmar, Inc., who are some of the industry-leading companies for this type of facility. The pool is maintained with new state-of-the-art equipment, including the Strantrol System 5, CAT 2000, and PoolPak.
At 36 feet high, the climbing wall offers new and innovative recreational opportunities for the VWC community. Multiple routes and difficulty levels makes this wall not only unique but challenging regardless of your skill or experience in climbing. Developed and built by NICROS this wall combines west coast style with A.R.T. wall style to create a unique climbing environment. If you have climbing and belaying experience you may choose to complete a skills test anytime the wall is open to obtain your belay card.
The climbing wall is available for special events or teambuilding sessions for campus clubs, organizations, or academic classes. Contact the Director of Recreational Sports and Outdoor Activities at 757-455- 2124 for more information.
Climbing wall hours
Disc Golf Course
Virginia Wesleyan College’s disc golf course features nine challenging holes totaling 2,000 yards. This is a par 3 course that will test your with short accuracy and longer drives. Baskets are state-of-the-art Innova “Disc Catchers” and all tees include a sign diagramming the hole. The first hole is located behind Clarke Hall and the course is available 24 hours a day. You may also check-out discs from the Batten Center Hub whenever it is open.
Welcome to Tidewater Virginia, a diverse and vibrant region rich in history, culture, natural resources, and thriving industry. Virginia Wesleyan College is situated on the border of the cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia just miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay.
Enjoy the nightlife and the history of downtown Norfolk and walk the cobblestone streets where young patriots dreamed up a bold new country. Live beside one of the world’s largest pleasure beaches where biking, surfing, fishing and sunbathing are everyday events. See a Broadway show or a world-premiere opera. It’s an environment that gives a new meaning to life beyond the classroom.
Enjoy year-round waterfront festivals, eclectic restaurants and assorted museums. Explore the decks of the USS Wisconsin, the largest and last battleship ever built by the U.S. Navy. Head to the ballpark for a night of baseball – beautiful Harbor Park is the 12,000-seat home of the AAA Norfolk Tides, affiliate to the Baltimore Orioles. Or, check out the Norfolk Admirals, the American Hockey League affiliate to the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning at the Norfolk Scope – also home to Arena Racing USA.
Head down to the Virginia Beach oceanfront and walk along the boardwalk, which hosts an array of festivals featuring famous musicians and bands from Caribbean to country to beach music. Check out the East Coast Surfing Championships or the North American Sand Soccer Championship, the world’s largest single-weekend sand soccer festival.
Virginia Wesleyan believes that a safe, secure environment is essential to learning and to the peace of mind of our students, their parents and our faculty. For this reason, we employ a staff of full-time security officers available 24/7 to assist our campus community.
A security officer is stationed at the DeFord Gatehouse, the College’s only vehicular entrance, at all times throughout the year. A team of Campus Security officers patrols the campus by foot, bicycle and vehicle 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Our security staff maintains a friendly and supportive relationship with state and local law enforcement that assist us if the need arises. The end result is a campus that is secure as possible while allowing students the freedom to fully enjoy the campus and the Tidewater area surrounding it.
Security officers can also assist students with such services as jump starting a dead battery, after hours escort, providing parking decals and dorm ID cards.
TIDEWATER COLLEGIATE SUMMER BASEBALL LEAGUE
2017 WELCOME PACKAGE
- Practice Day: Sunday June 4 – You will be notified by your coach concerning time and location.
- First games: Monday June 5 – see schedule.
- Schedule: on website- runs through Sunday July 16.
- Teams: 10 team total.
- Rosters – are posted on the league’s website and on our Game Changer page.
- Baseball Equipment: Your jersey, hat, socks, and belts will be provided. You are responsible to bring your own bats (wood or composite wood only), pants and any other baseball related personal equipment. Helmets and practice balls will be provided by league.
- Games Online – all games will be scored on Game Changer, and are viewable by coaches, family and fans. In addition, select games will be broadcast online via U-Stream.
- Trainers – games played at VWC will have a certified athletic trainer on site.
- Baseball Training Facilities – batting cages on the baseball field are available for the players to use.
- Payments: If you still owe a payment, please be sure it is paid in full or that arrangements have been made with the league.
PLAYERS WHO WILL BE STAYING IN THE DORMS AT VWC
- Report Date: Saturday June 3 – Please notify the league of your expected arrival time and whether you will be arriving by car or flying into Norfolk International Airport.
- Shuttle: if flying in to Norfolk, let us know the name of the airline, flight number and expected arrival time and the league will plan for your transportation to the Virginia Wesleyan campus.
- Housing: You will live in a double on Virginia Wesleyan campus. All rooms have a refrigerator and microwave along with wi-fi and cable. Bring your own linens (extra-long twin sheets), etc. as if you were going to college (see below). Please Note: Housing MUST be paid in full prior to arrival.
- Meals: All players will receive a free cold breakfast along with a great buffet lunch daily. Meals start Sunday June 4 and run through July 16. If players are unable to attend lunch due to game obligations, they will be provided a box lunch at the field.
- College amenities: all players will have access to the college campus. Weight room, fitness center, basketball courts, student union (with pool tables, ping-pong, etc), swimming pool, outdoor volleyball courts, outdoor BBQ grills, and parking are all included in your player fee.
- Roommates: You will be informed of room assignments and contact info in a separate email early next week, so that you can communicate to each other on what you are each bringing.
Information provided below is taken from the Virginia Wesleyan website’s student housing information.
|What to bring||What NOT to bring|
General Housing Information
Most rooms in Bray Village and Smithdeal and Gum Halls in Village II have the following:
- Two single beds or lofts with a 39″ x 80″ twin mattress (extra long twin), two desks with chairs and two wardrobes.
- One dresser, mirror, towel bar, smoke detector, window blinds, a tile floor, 2-in-1 unit (refrigerator/microwave unit) and a heat and A/C unit.
Each room in Brock Village and East and Johnston Halls in Village II has the following:
- Two single beds or lofts with a 39″ x 80″ twin mattress (extra long twin), two desks with chairs, two wardrobes and two dressers.
- Mirror, towel bar, sink in double rooms, window blinds, a tile floor, 2-in-1 unit (except in the suites with kitchenettes) and a heat and A/C unit.
Every room has its own phone line and is wired for cable TV and internet access.
Also, each floor has one Resident Assistant (RA) to assist the students who live there (except the apartments and townhouses). Additionally, each village has one Village Coordinator and one Village Assistant who are available 24 hours a day.
See http://www.vwc.edu/student-life/residence-life/ for additional information concerning housing.
Player housing and meal plan cost is $868.00 per player, and includes all of the above.
Please note that the Tidewater Collegiate Summer Baseball League does not “mark up” the housing and meal plan cost, nor does it embed any subsidies for housing and meal plan cost into our league fees. $868.00 is the fee charged by Virginia Wesleyan College for the housing and meal plan, and we believe that it represents a great value for lodging in the dorms, and meals in the dining hall, while enjoying all of the student amenities offered by Virginia Wesleyan College.
DO NOT MAKE ANY PAYMENTS FOR LODGING & MEAL PLAN UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN ADDED TO ONE OF OUR TEAMS ROSTERS AND HAVE BEEN ISSUED A 2017 PLAYER CONTRACT.
Please note: Your player housing fees of $868.00 is due by April 1, 2017.
PAY BY CHECK:
Make check for $868.00 payable to Tidewater Summer League and mail to the league office, please include player name / housing on the memo line.
Tidewater Summer League
PO Box 1566
Nags Head, NC 27959
As mentioned above, the TSL does not mark up fees, nor does it embed any subsidies into the league fee for housing & meal plan expenses. While we are happy to offer the convenience of the online payment option, we cannot absorb the conversion fees charges by PayPal. For those players who choose to use the online payment option, we have added a $27.00 processing fee to the Housing & Meal Plan fee to cover those conversion fees, which will allow us to forward the full $868.00 to VWC after PayPal deducts it’s fees from your payment. To avoid the additional processing fee, please use the PAY BY CHECK option above (checks and/or money orders are accepted). Please remember that all Housing & Meal Plan fees are due by April 1, 2017.
- 2017 Housing & Meal Plan (VWC): $868.00
- TSL Processing Fee (PayPal): $27.00
- Total ONLINE housing & meal plan fee, including processing fee: $895.00