The countdown until the TSL’s 2022 Opening Day has already begun, and preparations are underway to ensure another great summer of collegiate baseball for our Tidewater area players and fans.
College coaches widely agree that summer baseball has become the third leg of the collegiate season, and it’s value can not be overstated. James Madison University Head Coach Marlin Ikenberry sums it up best when speaking this fall about his players participation in summer league baseball the previous summer,
“I am proud of our guys with the work they put in over the summer,” said head coach Marlin Ikenberry. “It’s part of the process. We break our seasons up into three’s: fall, spring, and the summers. The summer is a crucial part in the process in becoming a complete baseball player.”
The Tidewater Summer League is looking forward to another great season of collegiate, wood bat, summer league baseball and providing our players with the opportunity to gain valuable playing experience after their collegiate season has ended.
The 2022 season will run from June 2, 2022 through August 6, 2022, and will include our regular season games, exhibition games, our annual All Star game and our annual post season Postove Cup Championship Tournament.
We have combined the schedules of our local Tidewater Summer League teams with teams from the Premier Collegiate League, giving us six clubs competing for the 2022 Championship, the Virginia Beach Sea Dogs, Norfolk Redbirds, Suffolk Voyagers. Greenbrier Knights, Edenton Steamers and Tarboro River Bandits.
In addition to our championship season, and in partnership with the Piedmont Collegiate Baseball League (Richmond, VA), Tidewater Summer League teams will be playing eight (8) inter-league games with PCBL teams, the Sluggers, Barnstormers, Tigers and Patriots.
As part of this partnership, the 2nd Annual All Star Game between the Tidewater Summer League and the Piedmont Collegiate Baseball League will be held July 23rd. Location is to be announced. We will also be scheduling a game between the Tidewater Summer League Champion and the Piedmont Collegiate Baseball League Champion at the end of our respective seasons.
- Well organized, high quality, competitive, wood bat summer baseball;
- Experienced Coaches dedicated to player development;
- Annual All-Star Game;
- Post Season Championship Tournament;
- The league strictly adherence to our pitch count/days rest rules and incorporate our pitcher’s live innings into a healthy throwing routine;
- Home games played at Lakewood Park, Norfolk, VA;
- Charter Bus transportation to and from games in Richmond, VA and Tarboro, NC.
- Experienced collegiate umpires for all regular season and post season games;
- Live game feeds, with league, team and player stats & standings via Game Changer;
- Live internet broadcast of select games via Facebook Live;
- Player of the Week Awards, League MVP Awards and other player recognition;
- Safety – The league takes the safety of our players, coaches, staff and fans very seriously and has implemented stringent COVID-19 related protocols and safety measures;
2022 SEASON INFORMATION
Season Dates – June 2nd – August 6th, 2022.
Regular Season League Games; played at Sam Maddox Field at Lakewood Park, Norfolk, VA; Historic Hicks Field, Edenton, NC; and Tarboro Municipal Stadium, Tarboro, NC*, plus additional Exhibition Games vs Piedmont Collegiate Baseball League, Richmond, VA*; (teams may add additional exhibition games with other league and independent teams in the coming weeks/months).
All Star Game – July 23rd, 2022.
Postove Cup Championship Tournament – August 2nd – August 6th, 2022.
*Teams will travel by charter bus to and from out of town games played in Tarboro, NC and Richmond, VA.
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY RULES
- Current collegiate players are eligible to participate in the TSL.
- High School graduates who will be playing college baseball in the fall are eligible to participate in the TSL.
- All players must be 18 years of age prior to participating in any league sanctioned activities.
- All players must have NCAA eligibility remaining to be eligible to participate in the TSL.
- Players who have signed a professional contract to play baseball are not eligible to participate in the TSL.
2022 Team Membership Fee: $1,495.00
Membership fee includes baseball related expenses such as facilities, umpires, baseballs, league fees, coaches, trainer, transportation to and from games in Tarboro, NC and Richmond, VA, plus jerseys (2), hat, socks and belt;
*Please note: Players are responsible for providing themselves with two pair of baseball pants, one white pair and one grey pair. Players are also responsible for providing themselves with an adequate supply of bats for the season, their own batting helmet and a personal cooler with drinking water, Gatorade, etc.
Membership Fees can be paid in full with your registration, or can be paid in two payments, half with your registration and the balance due not later than February 1, 2022.
Eligible players interested in joining us for the upcoming 2022 summer season should email the league
Subject line “PLAYER”;
You must include the following information:
1. player’s name;
2. cell phone number;
3. email address;
4. primary position you play & any secondary positions you play;
5. college you attend; (If you are a college bound high school senior, list your high school and college you will be attending this fall);
6. hometown; (if you do not live in the tidewater area, where would you be staying during the season);
Send your email to:
Once your email has been received and the league has confirmed the availability of a roster spot for you, you will receive a confirmation email offering you a roster spot with one of our teams, along with links to our player registration and payment pages, where you will be able to complete the registration process and lock in your roster spot for the upcoming season.